Sunday, October 2, 2011

What Harry Potter Did for me


Reading has always been important for me, before when I was around 7, I really didn’t read. I would play videogames and was shown to violent games, but once I saw Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone, I got intrigued about the magical world, wizards and witches, and just the thought of quiditch was quite amazing. My sister and I went to the bookstore and went to buy the first two books, around a week in a half I completed both books, my sister was amaze by how I completed them. The next day I got my allowance from my parents and I went straight to the bookstore and bought the third book in the series “The Prisoner of Azkaban”. After I finished the book in less than a week I noticed that the series was getting darker and the wizard world was getting darker. The thing I liked about Harry Potter was that Harry was getting older and he was going through things just like any teenager would go through, except for being a wizard part but in love interest. After two weeks I got to read the 4th Book ‘ The Goblet of Fire” I was amazed about how they bring death and darkness in this part, with Cedric Diggory and the return of Voldermort. The fifth book wasn’t supposed to be released for a year later so I decided to read Lord of The Rings, I wasn’t as intrigued by the series as much as Harry Potter but some people thought it was weird seeing a 8 year old read such a series but after the end I actually liked the series, my favorite character from the series was Legolas, because he was the most daring and was part of the comedy with Gimli.
After I finished Lord of The Rings I got back into Harry Potter series because the book came out a week after I was now in 5th grade and I was pretty much done with the book in 4 days, sadly I cried when Bellatrix killed Harry’s Godfather. Then the battle between Dumbledore and Voldermort made it very intense, and made the book great. Now that I had to wait for Harry Potter for some time I read different books while I waited like from Tom Clancy, I read “Rainbow Six”, “Splinter Cell”, and “End War”. After I read “A Series of Unfortunate Events” by Lemony Snicket. Next I read “Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy” I found this story funny because of the witty of comedy it had, then when I was done I got back into the next Harry Potter book which got darker and killed Dumbledore which was a very sad moment for me and my sister, because we both cried about it. Then once again I kept on reading anything I found interesting like Japanese Manga which is pretty much graphic novels, I read Bleach, Naruto, Death Note, and Air gear. These got me through until the last Harry Potter book was released and made me feel quite sad because it was the reason I began reading and made me have sentimental value to what made me the person I am. I finished the book in 3 days and was remarked by how many characters were killed but the ending made me feel glad and accomplished. Reading opened up my eyes to new boundaries and I enjoy it no matter what.

3 comments:

  1. Christian~ First, I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan! (I've read all of the books/seen all of the movies... and they are near and dear to my heart.) Second, I am a total HP advocate for the very reason that you mention in your blog: in a country where the average adult has an 8th grade reading level, these books got kids excited to read over 4000 pages of great literature. J.K. Rowling is my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be honest, I never read Harry Potter until I started last month with my reading teacher(which I'm still in the first one, school work comes first). I have seen the movies, I enjoyed some of them. So far I'm enjoying the book, after I finish this reading this book, I'm going to read the third book of Larten Crepsley then back to Harry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading Harry Potter in my second grade class. It just came out, and everyday, at the end of the day, my teacher would have us gather around the carpet area and would read us a chapter. It was one of my favorite childhood experience and all around these books are fun reads. Also, really cool list of books you've read, props Christian.

    ReplyDelete